How to Do a Life Audit

If you’re like me, there are times when your plate feels a bit too full. There are times when you’re overscheduled and overwhelmed, but you don’t believe you’ve accomplishing much. I decided I needed to conduct a Life Audit. And you can too! Here’s how to do a Life Audit and why it’s helpful.

We all have days when we work too hard on the wrong things, but we have to make sure that those days don’t turn into weeks, months, or even years. A Life Audit will leave you with the clarity you need to prioritize.

How to Do a Life Audit

By Krystal Clark

How to Do a Life Audit

Mission:

Quality advice will not be helpful if you don’t know your personal mission. What is your why? What is your vision? If you’re not clear on your personal mission, it will be hard for you to conduct your Life Audit. Define your personal mission and write down your goals on paper.

A personal mission statement will help you articulate your values and beliefs, determine your personal definition of success, and share your talent with the world.

Questions:

What’s currently on your plate? Make a master list of everything in your life that’s taking up time. Consider your full-time job, side hustle, relationships, community involvement, social media, and whatever else you spend time on.

After you’ve completed this task, compare this list to your mission statement and identify points of congruence between the two. Analyze the incongruence because you may be able to eliminate some of the time you spend on these activities.

Ask yourself:

• How is this helping me achieve my mission?
  • Do I enjoy it?
  • What am I gaining by having this on my plate? Could I achieve the same benefits another way?
  • What would I lose by taking this off my plate? Do those things play a large role in achieving my mission?
  • Is this using up other resources  that could be useful in helping me accomplish my why? (For example, do you need extra money to fund the beginning stages of a side hustle that helps you accomplish your mission? Are you finding it hard to find time to sit down and write your book because you’re giving three hours of your week to something you feel “meh” about? It could be good to push this stuff off your plate now in order to fulfill your larger mission.)
  • If I weren’t already involved with this, would I sign up for it now? (If the answer is no, then that’s an easy thing to cross off your list.)
  • Is this helping me to fulfill the basic needs of life? (For instance, my workouts are pretty expensive, but my health is critically important. I can research less expensive options, but I shouldn’t give up fitness altogether.)

As you answer the questions, always keep your mission statement in mind.

Use the Stoplight Method if You Need Guidance:

RED: STOP! These are things that you should say no to at this time.

YELLOW: Slow Down!
– You can still be involved, but maybe tone it back a bit. This is a commitment that you can redesign.

GREEN: GO! – This is mission-congruent and a life must-have.

Focus:

Take a look at what’s left on your list. If your new list seems more manageable and the points will help you lead to your mission statement, then you’ve had a successful life audit. If not, rinse and repeat. You may find gaps during your life audit that could allow you to add new opportunities that are aligned with your goals.

Your personal mission statement allows you to focus. As new opportunities come your way, you can run them through your mission filter. Schedule recurring “me” time  to conduct a Life Audit. Reexamine and rework your mission as needed, put everything in front of you, and commit to the things that will help you achieve your personal definition of success.

By Krystal Clark for Mavenly + Co., a community of young women having honest conversations about college, career and life and helping them create a lifestyle by their own design.

Image via Domino

28 Responses to How to Do a Life Audit

Ah this is great! I really need to do this soon, because I feel like I’ve lost a little bit of my focus!

2. I think I could definitely benefit from doing a life audit! It sounds like it will help me outline and focus more on my goals. Thanks for these tips!

3. I have been feeling a bit down in the dumps lately and these questions just majorly helped me! Sometimes you just have to put it all into perspective!

4. I do love the idea of an audit – if not for eliminating demands then at least prioritizing. I’m always surprised when I track the time I devote to certain things. Somehow the parts that, in my mind, are high on my list receive the least attention, so it’s definitely helpful to analyze our focus every once in a while.

One of my favorite quotes on the topic is, “When things aren’t adding up in life, start subtracting.”

XO, Oksana from FOXYOXIE.com

This is awesome!
    I need to do something like this soon.

6. Alexandra Adams says:

This is so perfect right now. I’ve been trying to reorganize and prioritize my life recently, so a lot of these questions are definitely the right ones to be asking myself. Thanks for this!

Alexandra Adams | X Height Ment

7. Kayleigh says:

Such a great way to get organized and evaluate things!

I love that desk set up! I also agree, doing a “life detox” sometimes is so important. This post reminded me that I need to take a look at my priorities and possible reevaluate soon.
    Kayla || Keynotes from Kay

9. Allyssa says:

This is such great advice. Day to day, it’s so easy to forget about all the things that really take up your time, but making time to sit down and really sort it out sounds extremely helpful.

Lyss | Life with Lyss

10. Molly says:

This is so helpful, thank you! Especially as I get so much busier with job applications and what not, this will help me focus and prioritize!!

11. This came at the absolute perfect time! My community involvement has me feeling overwhelmed, and something has to give.

XO, SS || Seersucker Sass

12. Taylor says:

This is helpful! I need to do it once I get out of the moving house craziness!

This is such an amazing idea. I definitely have my moments of feeling overwhelmed with my daily schedule and this would help me prioritize!

Ahh this is great!! I am one of those people that constantly has too much on my plate and saying no is not one of my strengths. I love this evaluation technique.

This a great idea!! Kind of like spring cleaning, it will start me off on the right foot this year!

16. What a great idea! I need to spend some time taking inventory soon.

I love this. I definitely have too much on my plate and sometimes forget to remember that I need to slow down!

Love the ideas behind this post!

19. Pingback: What I'm Into Volume 91 + Lilly Pulitzer After Party Sale - A Pop of Pink

20. Julia says:

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Thank you!

21. Payton says:

I’m super excited to devote a whole journal to all of these questions. Been needing to get this all down on paper and im looking forward to using this as a framework! Thanks for the great post

22. Pingback: 30 Day Challenge: Creating a Better Evening Routine

23. my blog says:

Very good webpage you’ve gotten there

24. Pingback: The Happy Planner 2016-2017 + Year & Life Audit Worksheet - Immensely Social

25. Pingback: November | 2016 | stay gold autumn

26. Pingback: Friday Favorites: December 2, 2016 - The Allen Table

27. Pingback: The Most Popular Posts of 2016 - Elana Lyn

28. Rebekka says:

I know this is completely off topic, but I’m redoing my office and I love that chair! Where did you get it?