The Best Questions to Ask in an Informational Interview

They key to a successful informational interview is to ask insightful questions. An informational interview isn’t an interview for a specific role — the purpose is to learn more about the industry. Don’t get there just to have awkward silences and struggle to think of things to say. Be on your A-game so that your informational interview is as beneficial as possible. Prepare in advance by doing your due diligence. Look at their LinkedIn and other sites to come up with questions that you couldn’t find out from looking at their LinkedIn or a doing a quick Google search. Here are the best questions to ask in an informational interview.

The Best Questions to Ask in an Informational Interview

The Best Questions to Ask in an Informational Interview

1. I know you’ve spent [x years in the industry]? How did you end up at [x company]?
  2. What is your favorite and least favorite thing about working at [x company]?
  3. How did you get your job? What was the hiring process like?
  4. What is the company culture like here?
  5. What are your responsibilities as [x role]?
  6. What is a ‘typical’ workday like for you?
  7. What is your favorite and least favorite job responsibility?
  8. You previously worked at [x company]. How did you decide to move to [y company]?
  9. What do you like most and least about working in [x industry]?
  10. What are the most important characteristics someone needs to have to be successful in your role?
  11. What do you recommend I do to make myself a great candidate for a role in [x industry]?
  12. Is there something you wish you’d known or a skill you wish you’d had when you started out in [x industry]? Is there something you wish you had done differently?
  13. What is your best advice as I try to [break into the industry, get my next role in the industry etc.]?
  14. Would you mind taking a look at my resume?
  15. Is there anyone else you think I should talk to in the industry?
  16. Do you have any other advice for me?

Asking informed, intelligent, insightful questions will help you make a great first impression!

Image via Tumblr.

19 Responses to The Best Questions to Ask in an Informational Interview

1. These are great questions to ask! Thanks for sharing.

2. Tiffani says:

These are all so awesome! I’m interviewing for a virtual position tomorrow and this will seriously help me so much, thank you for sharing!

This is a great list! I love asking my interviewer questions to show that I am interested in both the position and them personally.

4. Anna says:

Will definitely be bookmarking and pinning this post! Great information!
    -Anna | http://www.fivefootandfabulous.com

5. Alix Maza says:

So helpful! Have to remember these in the future.

6. Kayleigh says:

I love this! I’m just now in the process of applying/interviewing and these are so helpful!

7. Laura says:

These are great questions to ask! I just graduated with my MBA and some of these were on a recent list i just read about what to ask!

Laura B. | http://www.LauraWears.com

Wow! This is a great list of questions! Very helpful.

9. This is such a great resource! I hope to have interviews at some point soon.

10. These really are the best! Great, well-rounded questions!

These are awesome!! Need to keep this in mind for my next interview!
    Amy | Pastel N Pink

12. Amanda says:

Great questions! I have an interview coming up and I always blank when they ask if I have questions.

Xoxo,
    Amanda
    trulyyoursa.com

13. Alex says:

I love this! It is so important to ask questions during an interview!!

14. adriana says:

I love this! This is such a great list to remember for sure!

15. This is great! I’ll definitely need to keep these questions in mind for my next interview.

16. Tracy Schwartz says:

As someone who has been scheduling many informational interviews as I make a career change these questions are crucial. Thank you for this post and sharing. I will make sure to review them and add them.

17. Pingback: Career Profile: Kate Gremillion, Mavenly + Co.

18. Good list of questions..Knowing about how to give powerful answers to the most common yet tricky interview questions is clearly the key to land your dream job.