30 Day Challenge: Self-Love

In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, this month’s 30 Day Challenge is self-love. We’ll be sharing self-love advice all month long. Valentine’s Day is traditionally about romantic relationships, but I think one of the most important keys to a successful relationship is feeling happy and confident on your own. I’m definitely not a relationship expert, but I’ve always thought that looking for someone to make you whole is not the right mindset. I think you should feel whole on your own and look for someone who makes you even happier and the best version of yourself.

Self-Love

Here’s What I’m Going to Do:

1. Schedule Me Time: I’m going to set aside time to focus on myself. Whether it’s taking an extra long bath or shower, getting in bed early with a book, journaling, or cooking and enjoying a healthy meal. I’m also going to take Jordyn’s recommendation to ask these questions: What are your goals? How are you working toward your intentions? Are you happy with your relationships? Which areas of your life are causing you stress? How can you alleviate yourself from these concerns?
  2. Stick to My Morning Routine: I’ve talked about it multiple times, but my morning routine is really important to me. It sets the tone for the entire day. I go to a gym class almost every morning. I take a quick shower, get ready, then grab coffee and read The Skimm, Buzzfeed News, Broadsheet, and The New York Times on my commute. Some days, I’ll get together with my mom or friends for breakfast.
  3. Write in My Journal: Okay, I haven’t been so great about journaling last month (although I bought a gorgeous journal). I tried to journal on my commute home but it’s hard to get a seat and after writing all day, sometimes I just want to zone out with a good book or podcast. Luckily, Jordyn will be sharing her journaling prompts with us this month!
  4. Share Self-Love at Work: I’m going to take my own advice for sharing accomplishments at work!
  5. Take Saturday’s Off: Taking Saturday’s off from blogging and freelance writing has been so nice. I’m going to continue this month!

What I Learned in January:

Last month’s 30 Day Challenge was Clean Eating. It was a lot easier than I thought. Now I don’t really crave processed foods (except for fro-yo…). My go-to breakfast was Fage 0% Greek Yogurt with honey. My go-to snacks were nuts, homemade trail mix, apples with peanut butter, and carrots. Sometimes I packed lunch but, after I forgot lunch on my counter one day (oops), I went to lunch with a coworker and realized how great it is to go to lunch with coworkers/friends. I’ll still pack once or twice a week but, once we started inviting people to lunch more people started coming and it has been such a great way to get to know people better. Plus, once I get back to my desk after eating out, I’m more focused and creative. The biggest change was that my skin looks brighter and I ate a lot less junk food.

How do you practice self-love? I’d love to know your tips!

Image via BrittaNickel.

25 Responses to 30 Day Challenge: Self-Love

1. Mikayla Christiansen says:

I love journalling! It’s definitely refreshing to have that time to yourself. I love this idea of a series!

Mikayla | A Seersucker State of Mind.

2. Sounds like you had a great January! My healthy eating challenge has been going pretty well, too. I cut down on my junk food and sugar consumption — and my skin certainly appreciated it! I’m looking forward to indulging in some self-love this month. And I’m thinking a facial is a good start.

Scheduling me time is so important!
    Sometimes we forget to take care of ourselves in all the hustle and bustle of life.

I think that developing a morning routine is so important! I’m currently trying to work on developing one for myself. 🙂

5. Audrey Stowe says:

that bath mat!!! love it. That’s awesome that your 30 day clean eating challenge went so well. I need to do that!

6. Molly says:

I love this! Your morning routine sounds so relaxed. I usually wake up early to go for a run and then head to a coffee shop before class to answer emails and catch up on work!

Taking time for yourself is so important, no matter what time of year. I always try to make a little “me” time everyday!
    Kayla || Keynotes from Kay

8. Kayleigh says:

Writing in a journal is so key! I love looking back on what I’ve written throughout the years.

9. Taking a day off can be so hard. I always feel like I need to be on social media or commenting on other blogs over the weekend, but it’s so important to take a day off from it all and just relax a bit!

10. These challenges are so cool! Self-love is so important and I’ve been slacking since the new year. I love to just take a little time to myself to read and clear my mind. Treating myself to a massage is also one of my favorite ways to give myself some much needed TLC.

LiveLifeWell,
    Allison

11. I write a column on life’s simple pleasures, so I’m a total fan of this series! All five of your tips are spot-on – now, if only I could force myself to actually take a break!

XO, Oksana from FOXYOXIE.com

I love that column idea! I’ll have to read it. I’m so glad you are a fan of hte series — here’s to taking breaks and practicing self-love.

12. Not many people can give up fro-yo! Great job with the January challenge. I really need to schedule more “me” time, too.

13. Cat says:

I need to remember to schedule some me-time this month!

14. Amanda says:

This is such a great idea for a blog post. Sounds like you learned a lot in January.

xx,
    Amanda || http://www.fortheloveofglitter.com

15. Tiffani says:

#2 is probably my favorite. My morning routine has been the same for almost 4 years and it is so so so important to me!

16. I love the idea of this Elana! Just had a nice self care Saturday due to a really stressful week but I’m thinking I want to do this 30 day challenge. I admire your morning routine, I really want to establish one but I just am not a morning person, maybe I’ll work on that this month. I’m glad your 30 day clean eating challenge went well, keep it up!

First of all, I need that rug in my life. Also, I’ve realizing the importance of a morning routine–it took a breakdown, but I’ve learned!

18. Pingback: Valentine's Day Date Ideas - Elana Lyn