Gallup data from 2013 and 2014 showed that the average full-time worker over age eighteen works an average of 47 hours per week. That’s more than nine hours per day! It’s perfectly normal to find yourself hungry between meals during the workday. Whether your stomach starts growling between breakfast and lunch, or you get hangry in the afternoon, these healthy work snacks will help you stay satisfied, focused, and productive. No fridge at work to store them in? Just bring an insulated lunch bag and an ice pack to keep your snacks cold.
Healthy Work Snacks
For a sweet snack craving:
- Fresh fruit with a tablespoon of nut butter or over plain yogurt
- Homemade trail mix: Mix two tablespoons of nuts, seeds, or dry-roasted edamame with one tablespoon of dried fruit, and one teaspoon of dark chocolate chips
- Whole grain crackers topped with part-skimm ricotta, cinnamon, and a drizzle of honey
For a salty snack craving:
- Half of a turkey or cheese sandwich on whole grain bread
- A DIY fruit and cheese plate: Pair a single-serve cheese (like a cheddar or mozzarella stick, mini brie, or wedge) with a few olives, half a cup of grapes, and half a serving of whole grain crackers
- A half a cup of cooked edamame
For a creamy snack craving:
- Two hard-boiled eggs
- Three fourths of a cup of plain Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of ground flax or chia seeds and cinnamon
- Half an avocado with a dash of sea salt
For a crunchy snack craving:
- Sliced veggies with salsa, hummus, or guacamole for dipping
- A quarter cup of dry roasted edamame, nuts, or seeds
- DIY microwave popcorn: Place three tablespoons of corn kernels in a brown paper bag. Fold the bag over twice and microwave in one-minute intervals until corn is popped. Add whatever spices you like and shake well.
What are your favorite healthy work snacks?