Nutritionist-Approved Healthy Work Snacks

Gallup data from 2013 and 2014 showed that the average full-time worker over age eighteen works an average of 47 hours per week. That’s more than nine hours per day! It’s perfectly normal to find yourself hungry between meals during the workday. Whether your stomach starts growling between breakfast and lunch, or you get hangry in the afternoon, these healthy work snacks will help you stay satisfied, focused, and productive. No fridge at work to store them in? Just bring an insulated lunch bag and an ice pack to keep your snacks cold.

Nutritionist-Approved Healthy Work Snacks

Healthy Work Snacks

For a sweet snack craving:

• Fresh fruit with a tablespoon of nut butter or over plain yogurt
  • Homemade trail mix: Mix two tablespoons of nuts, seeds, or dry-roasted edamame with one tablespoon of dried fruit, and one teaspoon of dark chocolate chips
  • Whole grain crackers topped with part-skimm ricotta, cinnamon, and a drizzle of honey

For a salty snack craving:

• Half of a turkey or cheese sandwich on whole grain bread
  • A DIY fruit and cheese plate: Pair a single-serve cheese (like a cheddar or mozzarella stick, mini brie, or wedge) with a few olives, half a cup of grapes, and half a serving of whole grain crackers
  • A half a cup of cooked edamame

Nutritionist-Approved Healthy Work Snacks

For a creamy snack craving:

• Two hard-boiled eggs
  • Three fourths of a cup of plain Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of ground flax or chia seeds and cinnamon
  • Half an avocado with a dash of sea salt

work-snacks

For a crunchy snack craving:

• Sliced veggies with salsa, hummus, or guacamole for dipping
  • A quarter cup of dry roasted edamame, nuts, or seeds
  • DIY microwave popcorn: Place three tablespoons of corn kernels in a brown paper bag. Fold the bag over twice and microwave in one-minute intervals until corn is popped. Add whatever spices you like and shake well.

What are your favorite healthy work snacks?

By Jessica Cording, MS, RD, CDN: Jessica is a registered dietitian and writer in NYC. She blogs at Keeping It Real Food. Image via Brit + Co.

16 Responses to Nutritionist-Approved Healthy Work Snacks

1. Anna says:

These are all fantastic healthy snack options! My favorite snack is hummus and pretzel crisps. Love it!
    -Anna | http://www.fivefootandfabulous.com

2. These are great snacks to have on hand at the office! That DIY popcorn is a great idea.

Great snack ideas, lady!

It’s so easy to reach for junky snacks just because they’re easy. Love these healthy and simple options for the work day (:

5. Cristina says:

These are all great snack ideas! I work on my blog during the day as well as complete homework and study, so I’m all for a quick snack, but I want it to be healthy. I think fruit with some nut butter sounds amazing right now!

X,
    Cristina
    cristinawashere.com

6. Dani CC says:

I love your snack packaging and the inspirational little tags. I used to never love snacking but now it’s my fav, salsa, guac and hummus are the best!

7. Love these! I always feel like I need another snack at work. I love the half the avocado with some salt. That sounds super delicious!

8. These are all great snack ideas! I’m always a sucker for veggies and dip as a quick, filling snack.

9. Megan says:

I’m such a snacker, but it’s great to have a list of nutritionist-approved snacks that I don’t have to feel guilty about! That trail mix sounds especially good, I’m a sucker for dark chocolate.

This is awesome! I’m always looking for new post workout snacks! Thanks for sharing!!
    Amy | Pastel N Pink

These are such great healthy work snack ideas!!

12. Oh my goodness, these all sound so delicious! There aren’t many food options near my office, so I’ve tried to be better about packing my lunch and snacks. Keeping this in mind for grocery shopping this week 🙂

XO, SS || Seersucker Sass

13. Mindy says:

Yum! Eating healthy while working can be a challenge but well worth it! I focus so much better if I opted for one of the snacks you suggested instead of a candy bar or other junk! Xoxo Mindy

14. All these snacks actually sound pretty delicious. I love avocados, hummus, fruit. Yummm!

15. Sara Laughed says:

My favorite snack is hummus with whole-grain pita chips!

16. Pingback: My 2017 New Year's Resolutions