How to Research for a Job Interview

You’ve prepared your elevator pitch; you’ve selected the perfect outfit, head-to-toe; and you’ve even thought about what to say if you’re asked the dreaded salary question. But have you done your homework on the company? This is a glaring mistake many job seekers make—forgetting to think about common, company-specific questions like, “Why do you want to work here?” or even “What do you know about the company?” The hiring manager knows you’re qualified—that’s why she’s invited you into the hot seat!—but now she wants to know that you’ll be be passionate about your work and that of your potential peers. Don’t worry, here’s how to research for a job interview. Do your research on these three areas, and you’ll be golden!

How to Research for a Job Interview

How to Research for a Job Interview

1. The company culture, mission, and values.

Most sites have an about page or something similar, which is helpful for learning why the company was founded, how they define what they do, and the mission or values of the organization. The careers page is also useful for learning about company culture. And of course, check up on the company’s social media—it’s a rapid fire way to figure out their POV on business news and current events in general.

2. Key team members.

Before your interview, make sure you’ve memorized the names of the founders and/or CEO—and have familiarized yourself with the leadership team, either through the company website or through a little extra sleuthing on LinkedIn. Just remember that this info can mostly be left in your backpocket, to ensure that if “Monica” is referenced, you know that means the CFO. No need to tell the interviewer that you have a cat named Murphy just like she does. You want to be prepared…not creepy.

3. Recent company news.

Read the press page, and if you have a few days before going in, set up Google Alerts so that company updates come to you. When I interviewed at my current company, I knew to congratulate them on being named number six on Crain’s “Best Places to Work in NYC.” Needless to say, the hiring manager was impressed!

…and that’s it! Now take a deep breath, and get ready to ace your interview.

This post was originally published on Levo. Image via Keep it Simple.

25 Responses to How to Research for a Job Interview

1. Great tips! Doing your research and asking smart questions is key to acing an interview.

2. Mikayla says:

I definitely will have to keep these key things in mind for my next interview!

Mikayla | A Seersucker State of Mind.

3. May says:

These tips truly will make a difference – my boyfriend spent the summer interviewing for his first job and made sure to do this type of research beforehand. It really helped!

I always love your career posts! This one is especially useful!!!

Great tips!
    Not doing your homework beforehand is a surefire way to get caught off guard and ultimately ruin your chances.

These are really great tips. Most people don’t think about doing research on a company before going in for an interview but it’s so important! I interned with a company out in Pittsburgh but I did my research beforehand. I needed to prove to them I knew about their company and I wanted to work for them even though I wasn’t from that area!

Kayla | kaylablogs.com

7. This is such a great post! It’s so important to know the details about a company before the interview. I just listened in on an interview and the girl had no idea about our company’s history. She said how she has always wanted to work for a start-up… yet we have been in business for 40 years… ouch. Needless to say she didn’t get hired. Know you facts 😉 Such a great post!

8. Excellent points! I had one job interview last summer, where I wished that I had researched the company a bit more, as I was a bit clueless to some of their history.

I definitely agree with having to know key team members. In my Public Health class today we discussed how important it is to even know people in charge at a national level (in the Department of Health/Human Services, in my case) because you never know what’s going to come up and what someone is going to ask! I also think that knowing important team members shows interest and dedication to the company.

10. Shane says:

So very true! I’ve went into interviews uninformed in the past- no way are you getting that job, the company wants to feel valued!

11. Great tips! I think that pre-interview research is key to killin’ it! I searched far and wide to find info on my current company before my interview. I wish I had known people there beforehand so I could discuss things with them first!

12. Tiffani says:

What awesome tips! I know it’s not easy for lots of people to nail interviews, and these are certainly tips that will set any interviewee apart from the rest.

Great advice, this information should be easy enough to research and knowing it definitely makes you look informed during an interview!

14. Nicole says:

The best thing you can do is see the latest company news because it’s a great way to spark conversation when you’re on the interview. I know it’s something I depend on! x Nicole | http://www.changeanddress.com

15. Ally Gagliardo says:

Great tips! I’m applying for jobs and I love your career advice!

16. Nancy says:

I love this post, I agree, company news is important, as well as the other two. But we forget that we have access to news so easily these days, and it can be extremely beneficial to remain on top of these things as we research potential new jobs.

Nancy Laws

17. Nicole says:

SOOO true! And always come prepared with knowledge about the company! They may ask!!

Nicole // Chronicling Home

18. Courtney says:

Such important tips! I can’t believe how many people go into interviews expecting to get hired when they barely know anything about the company!

Courtney// As We Stumble Along

Yes. These are all so crucial when interviewing and really can apply to any job situation!

20. Great tips and I always love reading your career advice posts!!

21. Alicia says:

Keeping this in mind for my next interview! I love the idea of Google Alerts for a brand.

xo, Alicia | Alicia Tenise

22. MACARENA FERREIRA says:

These are great tips! I always do this before going in for an interview. It’s soooo important. For my first job, I was working as an office assistant at a public adjusting firm and when I got called in for the interview, i had no idea what a public adjuster was! So, I made sure to google it and make myself as knowledgable on the subject as possible. First thing they asked me is if I knew what a public adjuster was. Imagine if I would’ve said “don’t have a clue” haha!

xo // http://www.thematerialgirl.co

23. Courtney says:

Learning about the company is a big tip! They really like to know that you’ve done your research. Great tips!