The Best Job Interview Follow Up Email Template

The job search process can be daunting. You have to spruce up your resume, nail your cover letter, and go on a string of interviews that can be more nerve-wracking than a first date. And today’s job search means that you’re sending emails. Lots and lots of emails. And sending emails isn’t just surprisingly stressful—it also sucks away a LOT of valuable time. Use this email template to follow up after a job interview.

Let’s say it’s been a few weeks since your job interview and you haven’t heard back. Take the initiative by politely following up. It will show that you are still interested in the position and the company. Instead of just asking if they’ve made a decision, offer to share information and complete something that would be helpful to them.

How to Follow Up on a Job Interview (Free Email Template)

Dear X,

Thank you again for meeting with me and introducing me to more of the team. I’m excited about the opportunity to work at [company name].

I wanted to check in on next steps in the interview process. And if it’s useful to you, [Share more information, or offer to do a service—I just published X, or I would love to take a stab at X.]

[If you’ve noticed an exciting change for the company i.e. a site redesign, raising funding, or an award, mention it!]

Best,

[Name]

Image via Style Me Pretty.

11 Responses to The Best Job Interview Follow Up Email Template

1. Amelie says:

That’s such a helpful post! I recently went through a lot of interviews for an internship, and even though I have already received answers from the companies I interviewed for, this would have been so helpful to have! I’m definitely bookmarking this so I can come back to it later!

2. Tilley says:

Job related things can def put me at a loss for words lol. This is a great email!

3. Greta says:

This is so helpful. Will definitely be using this!

Greta | http://www.gretahollar.com

4. adriana says:

This is such a great outline! I love this, thank you for sharing it!!

5. Sydney says:

This is huge!! Very important to know how to communicate with a follow up. What a great template.

6. In my line of business follow up emails are not welcome because the last thing casting directors want is hundreds of emails. However, before i got into acting I used follow up emails and think they are professional.

7. This is a really good idea! I agree that more people should being using a system like this, especially in certain industries!

8. Shane says:

I’m currently in the midst of the job search and this was extremely helpful! I will be saving it to use, thanks!

9. I wish I would’ve known about your site when I first graduated from college… Super helpful and concise info – thanks for sharing!

10. Aura Turnbull says:

Very good write up Elana, as always!
    Solid tips are always appreciated, and so far only you and these guys have come through with great advice.
    Again, thank you for the article and keep it up!