Book Reviews: Recommended Reading

I love reading book reviews and getting recommendations from friends. I have a long commute and enjoy getting a lot of extra reading time! Here are a few books I read and loved recently. I’d love to know what you recommend!

Recommended Reading The Guest Room

The Guest RoomKristen Chapman’s husband, Richard, hosts his brother’s bachelor party (complete with hired entertainment) at their house. The two women stab and kill their bodyguards and we realize that they are victims of human trafficking. Kristin and Richard’s life becomes a nightmare. Their home is a crime scene, Richard is on leave from his job, everyone knows what happened at the bachelor party, and Kristen isn’t sure she can forgive Richard for the time he spent with in the guest room with one of the women. One of the women is finally free…but she is in danger. I read this book so quickly. The book deals with some challenging topics, but it is an interesting read. You’ll be surprised by the ending.

You may also like Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train

The Ramblers

The Ramblers (c/o): Clio Marsh, Smith Anderson, and Tate Pennington are all college friends navigating their thirties in NYC. Clio Marsh is a bird-watcher dealing with her first serious relationship while learning to understand and deal with her past. Her best friend, Smith Anderson is the daughter of one of New York’s wealthiest families. She has a organization company and organizes the lives of others as her prior engagement has fallen apart…and her younger sister is getting married. Tate Pennington has returns to the city after selling his app and dealing with a divorce. The book has been called a love letter to NYC. I couldn’t put this book down. You’ll feel like you are best friends with all of the characters. It reminded me of a grown up Gossip Girl.

You may also like The Interestings and Commencement.

The-Kind-Worth-Killing

The Kind Worth Killing: Ted Severson meets the mysterious Lily Kintner at an airport bar. After having one too many martinis, the strangers begin to play a game of truth, revealing dark details about themselves. Ted talks about his marriage and his wife Miranda, who has been cheating on him. Ted jokes that he could kill Miranda and Lily says she’d help. They come up with an elaborate plan as you learn more about Lily’s past. You have to read this thriller. It’s one of the best psychological thrillers I’ve read in a long time.

You may also like What She Knew and Unbecoming.

Eightysixed-Emily-Belden

Eightysixed (c/o): Eightysixed is a memoir by twenty-something, Emily Belden. She wrote the book after breaking up with the man she thought was “the one.” Emily starts dating again and meets a mix of drug addicts, embezzlers, perverts, chefs, and finally her now husband. The book is hilarious, fun, and real. I met Emily and she is even more fun in person!

You may also like Brooklyn Girls and Why Not Me.

Pretty Happy

Pretty HappyKate Hudson’s book Pretty Happy: Healthy Ways to Love Your Body discusses fitness, nutrition, health, and insights on boosting self-esteem and confidence. The book is packed with quizzes, information from experts, and action-oriented advice for living a healthy lifestyle. I really enjoyed it and found myself taking the quizzes and using Kate’s self-care advice.

You may also like Brunette Ambition and Cupcakes and Cashmere.

What books do you recommend? I want to read them!

Image via Byrdie.

22 Responses to Book Reviews: Recommended Reading

1. Anna says:

The Kind Worth Killing and Eightysixed both sound so good! I’m currently reading #Girlboss and I’m really enjoying it right now!
    -Anna | http://www.fivefootandfabulous.com

2. I am adding these to my reading list! They sound great. I’ve wanted to read Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert for a while. Here’s hoping I find some time this month to check that off my reading list!

Adding The Ramblers and Eightysixed to my ever growing reading list! My favorite books I’ve recently read are The Knockoff and The Underwriting. Both totally addicting and hard to put down.

Oh! I really want to read those. Thank you so much for your recommendations! Adding them to my list.

The Kind Worth Killing sounds like my kind of book. I am totally going to add that to my reading list.

5. arin says:

awww, you included Emily’s book! She’s such an amazing writer — Chicago love for the win! XX

Eightsixed and The Ramblers sound awesome! Will have to add those to my summer reading list

7. Kayleigh says:

Such a great reading list! I’ll definitely look into these!

8. Excellent list! Another great nonfiction rec. for people who are fins of Liz Gilbert’s work on creativity: The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron; it’s old, but making a resurgence here in Silicon Valley, esp. because it’s so detailed and hands-on (lots of creativity-inspiring activities and exercises). Definitely one of the top books that influences how I think about the work that I do in leadership and social change.

9. The Kind Worth Killing sounds like a great book. I’ll have to check that one out soon!

Xoxo,
    Amanda
    Trulyyoursa.com

I really want to read Kate Hudson’s book! She’s beautiful and such a big inspiration to me as far as fitness goes.

11. I just finished school and plan to start attacking the list of books on my list. I will soon be looking for more. I have heard good reviews of Eightysixed.

I need to check out Kate Hudson’s book! THanks for sharing your recommendations!
    Amy | Pastel N Pink

Great synopses!! I think I would love the first and the third! Any murder mystery… SOLD haha

I’m always looking for new books to read! I just finished You by Caroline Kepnes this past month and although it was way out of my comfort zone, I really loved it!

Kayla | kaylablogs.com

I’ve always loved Kate Hudson so I’m sure I would love her book too!

16. Cat says:

I need to visit my local Barnes & Noble!

17. Oksana says:

Ooh I’d love to get my hands on Kate Hudson’s book! She just seems like the epitome of carefree.

XO, Oksana | FOXYOXIE.com