60 Action Verbs to Use in a Resume

The other day, I was helping someone edit their resume. My biggest piece of advice was that she should use powerful verbs in her resume. On the subway home from work, I put together a list of action verbs to use in a resume or cover letter.

60 Action Verbs to Use in a Resume

54. Author
  55. Enforce
  56. Award
  57. Earn
  58. Exceed
  59. Outperformed
  60. AchieveImage via Meagan Ward.

21 Responses to 60 Action Verbs to Use in a Resume

1. Anna says:

Thanks for this list! I’m currently revamping my resume, so this was really helpful.

2. I love this post! While writing a resume can seem redundant after a while, switching up the action verbs you use can give it new life!

Just repined this for the future because I was never very good at describing what I have done with action words.

4. Kayleigh says:

I love this! I’m definitely sending this to all of my friends while we start sending out our resumes soon

5. Thanks so much for this list!

6. Cristina says:

This is so great! I’ll be referring to this as I make my resume 🙂

X,
    Cristina
    cristinawashere.com

7. Tiffani says:

Not even going to lie, I have definitely googled this exact thing. When I created my first resume, I was so lost, thankfully, I’m no longer a lost puppy. These are all so great, theres so many that I didn’t even think of!

8. What a great resource. I have updating my resume on my to-do list this month.

9. Alex says:

What awesome words, I think everyone could use this!

Ooooo, I love this!! Thank you SO much! I’m printing this and hanging it by my desk to remember when I update my resume.

This post was PERFECT!! I made a resume recently and it was so difficult to think of different words. I knew I needed to be using action verbs, but when it came time to putting them on paper I hit a mental block. Thanks for sharing. I have bookmarked for later.

12. What an interesting and useful roundup! Although I won’t be needing to update my resume any time soon, this post is a great reminder to diversify my own somewhat limited word pool.

Just the other day my husband and I were talking about how few words we use in our day-to-day lives. Even when we’re experiencing something new and unusual – say, an out-of-the-country adventure – we can’t help but label everything amazing, cool and awesome. Such a shame! Is the English language really so devoid of flavor that we must succumb to such trite descriptors? Thank you for reminding me to be more intentional in choosing my words.

XO, Oksana

13. Thanks for the reminder that I need to update my resume! I’m going to print these out, not just for resume purposes, but also to expand the words I use on a daily basis. Always appreciate your wisdom, Elana 🙂

XO, SS || Seersucker Sass