How to Persue Personal Development

If you want to grow and experience new opportunities in life, you should always be learning, improving, and developing. Little changes will eventually snowball into something big. As Vincent Van Gogh once said, “Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” Here are a few tips for how to pursue personal development.

How to Pursue Personal Development

How to Pursue Personal Development:

Start Every Day With an Intention:

How many of you checked your Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat before rolling out of bed and washing your face? We live in a world where what is happening on a phone screen is taking precedent over what is happening in our daily lives. When you wake up in the morning, instead of scrolling for 30 minutes, reflect on what the day is going to be like and set at least one goal that you want to accomplish that day. It’s a small start, but it’s an important exercise for ensuring daily productivity and mindfulness.

Take Up a New Hobby:

Hobbies are a great way to learn new skills and meet interesting people who share your passion. Is there something you’ve always wanted to try but keep putting off? Now is the time try something new. Think about how you want to grow and choose a hobby based on your goal. For instance, if you want to get in better shape, choose a sport like ice skating, rock climbing, or yoga.

Look for classes, groups, or seminars in your area. Try new things because they will encourage you to expand and enhance the skills you already have, figure out what you do and don’t like, and meet new people.

Start Positive Habits:

It takes time to form a habit and make it stick. The new year is the perfect time to introduce new habits into your life. Think about the “bad” habits you currently have and how you can swap them for a “good” ones. Change one habit at a time to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

Create Realistic To Do Lists:

Write down your goals to stay accountable and on track. Your list may include deadlines, specific goals, and significant dates that well help you stay organized. Don’t set deadlines that will be difficult (or impossible) to reach. You’ll feel frustrated and unfulfilled. Create attainable goals and break them down into small, actionable steps. Meeting (and exceeding) goals will make you feel happy, accomplished, and motivated to continue your hard work.

Practice Gratitude:

Bookend your day with positive habits. Set intentions and goals every morning and check what you’ve accomplished and what you’re grateful for every night. Practice gratitude by thinking about the top three things that influenced you and made you happy that day. You’ll start to relive and relish in the positive feelings, making you more likely to continue having a positive outlook day after day.

Become the best version of yourself and reap the rewards!

What are your tips for how to pursue personal development?

By Reese Evans: Reese Evans is the founder of Yes Supply Co., a community of creatives, bloggers, and entrepreneurs who are find their yes, and turning their passion into a thriving business.

Image via Ponies and Pearls.

24 Responses to How to Persue Personal Development

1. Great tips! I think starting and ending the day away from social media is so important, and something I’m trying to work on in the New Year!

This is great! Starting with realistic lists and a gracious attitude is everything! Isn’t it crazy how changes so small can make such a difference!

3. Lindsay says:

I love this! Taking up a new hobby has been something I’ve been working on lately:)
    XoLindsay
    Sugar & Something

4. Darrian says:

To-do lists are life! I have them everywhere and make them for even the simplest of tasks. Want to organize your room? Make a to-do list!

Great post! I definitely need to work on a few of these things.

5. Tiffani says:

Practicing gratitude is my favorite. It’s so easy to get lost in just expecting certain things that I occasionally forget to go out of my way to show a little gratitude.
    Every so often, I’ll hop on a new hobby and enjoy it or a while, but I not make it a giant part of my day, just incase I need/ want to drop it in the future!

6. I love this idea of starting every day with an intention. I always find myself being more productive when I have a clear outline and purpose in mind for the day ahead. Planning that the night before helps me, too!

Coming Up Roses

I heard someone on the radio last night about living with intention and CHOOSING to grow and be your best self each day. I think this was a wonderful topic!

8. Gratitude changes EVERYTHING. Loving this series!

XO, Oksana

9. Great tips! I try to set realistic goals for myself everyday!

HashtagFabLife

10. I looove these tips- and the first one particularly resonates with me. I definitely check my email and social media before I even get out of bed in the morning. I could be using my time much better if I try!

11. Tracy Schwartz says:

I am finally volunteering again which makes me really happy. My goal is once a week.

Realistic goals is also very important. Great post!

Thank you! It’s great that you are volunteering and making a difference in your community!

Intention is my word of the year! I love how you suggested starting your day with mindfulness 🙂

13. I loved the last point. I think we often forget about gratitude. There are always so many things and people to be thankful for. Love that picture…just makes me happy looking at it!

These are all amazing tips! I’ve been really trying to avoid my phone in the morning and spend sometime reflecting about the day and how I want it to go!

15. I’m a walking advocate for list making! It’s the only way I can actually get things done, and it helps measure progress throughout the day. Loved reading this post, lady!

Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante

This is great. I especially love the first one. Waking up and having a purpose for the day is so important and I feel like it helps you have a more productive day! Love it!

17. Mindy says:

Great tips! I spend wayyy too much time on social media and could better uses of my time. I’ve been focusing on disconnecting, especially when I’m with friends + fam Xoxo Mindy

I try to start every with intention and am in the market for a new hobby for sure!

19. Pingback: The Benefits of Mentorship - Elana Lyn