Fitness Files: Rock Climbing at Equinox

Fun Fact: I am a little bit scared of heights. But I like a challenge and when someone at the Equinox Sports Club on the Upper East Side invited me to do a post about rock climbing at Equinox, I was up for the challenge. And you can be too — read about my rock climbing at Equinox experience, then find out how you can get a complimentary pass! A huge thank you to Alexis and the rest of the Equinox team!

rock climbing at Equinox

The Workout:

The Equinox Sports Club on the Upper East Side has squash courts, a pool and hot tub, a boxing studio, two basketball courts, a pilates studio, a roof deck, and a rock climbing wall. I have been to Steep Rock Bouldering multiple times but I haven’t gone rock climbing in the city since I used to have my elementary school birthday parties at Chelsea Piers.

The rock climbing wall at The Equinox Sports Club on the Upper East Side is 35 feet tall. At the time, I wished they hadn’t told me that before I started climbing. I looked at the wall and incredulously asked Cary, the instructor who I started calling Cary Grant, if he climbs all the way to the top. It seemed like an impossible feat! I put on the harness and a pair of climbing shoes and the instructor tied a figure-eight knot that couldn’t untie. I was ready to climb.

I started climbing and climbed a few feet before “testing” that the rope would hold me and I wouldn’t fall. It did, so I felt comfortable climbing further. I climbed, and climbed, and climbed. Once I have my mind set on doing something, it’s hard for me to stop. Even though I was nervous (and looked down anxiously every so often), I kept going and finally made it to the top! I was so excited and felt so accomplished!

rock climbing at Equinox

What to Wear and Bring:

You can wear any top or pants. They have rock climbing shoes, a harness, and a chalk bag. (I wore a top from Reebok and pants from Saucony.)

rock climbing in nyc

What to Expect:

Rock climbing at Equinox was fun, challenging, and exhilarating at the same time. It is a great full body workout. My arms, legs, and abs were sore the next day.

NYC Rock Climbing Gyms

Your Turn:

The Equinox team has graciously given Elana Lyn readers a complimentary pass to The Equinox Sports Club on the Upper East Side. Email alexis.warren@equinox.com for your pass.

rock climbing at equinox

As Miley Cyrus would say, “Keep on movin. ‘Keep climbin.’ Keep the faith baby. It’s all about, it’s all about the climb. Keep the faith, keep your faith, whoa, whoa, oh.” I take most of my life advice from Miley Cyrus which is why I’m about to go swing from a wrecking ball.

I received a complimentary pass but this is an honest review. Photos by Natasha Benacerraf and Alexis Warren.

23 Responses to Fitness Files: Rock Climbing at Equinox

1. You go girl! Rock climbing is so much fun, isn’t it?! I’ve done it before on Long Island. I had to take a belaying class before I did it so I would know how to tie the knots and spot someone else who was climbing. I definitely want to do it again sometime!

I LOVE to rock climb! It’s so much fun and I can’t wait to go out west to try it again! This looks awesome, hopefully I can find something in Boston!

You’re absolutely the cutest! My former college had a rock climbing wall in the student center and I used to really enjoy climbing as a way to work out! 🙂

I have actually never been rock climbing before but it looks so thrilling!
    I may have to try it soon.

Rock climbing is so fun and wish I had the opportunity to do it more often! Looks like you had fun!

Amy |Pastel N Pink

This looks like so much fun and you look great!

7. Alex says:

This is awesome!! Rock climbing is SUCHHHH a good workout and you look like you had so much fun doing it!

8. Jenn says:

It’s been a long time since I’ve gone rock climbing, but this looks like so much fun! Guess I’ll have to go again soon 🙂

9. Mindy says:

This looks like so much fun. I’ve never rock climbed, but have it on my list to do! Xoxo Mindy

Ah looks like so much fun! My high school incorporated rock climbing into the sophomore year phys ed curriculum and I LOVED it. Suits me far better than team sports…

11. Oh man, just thinking of rock climbing makes me exhausted. I am not a fan of physical activity, and although I’ve been lucky to have good genes thus far, I know that dreadful day of doom is coming for me, when I will no longer be able to eat what I want!

On an unrelated note, I totally laughed out loud at the Miley Cyrus reference.

XO, Oksana from FOXYOXIE.com

12. Cat says:

I loved your Instagram post about rock-climbing and this blog post! Rock climbing is one of my favorite activities, and it’s often overlooked as a fun way to get some exercise in.

13. Rock climbing is so fun! I never really think if it as a workout but it definitely is.

LiveLifeWell,
    Allison

14. This looks so fun! I’ve never been good at rock climbing, but glad you conquered it and had fun!

This looks so fun! I’m terrible at rock climbing (read: I have ZERO upper body strength), but I still love it on the occasion that I actually get to do it!