30 Day Challenge: Better Budgeting

I can’t believe it’s September! Where did the summer go? It’s a new month, which means it’s time for a new 30 Day Challenge! This month’s challenge is better budgeting. I’ll be implementing a few changes to my routine. I’m also going to share a few guest posts from the financial guru, Ashley Feinstein, because there’s a lot I still need to learn.

30 Day Challenge: Better Budgeting

A few changes for better budgeting:

1. I’m going to try to eat at home more:

I pack breakfast and lunch every day, but I almost always go out for dinner, drinks, or to a networking event after work. I’m going to try to eat at home more by inviting friends over to my apartment for dinner or drinks.

2. I’m going to use Mint:

I’ll use Mint to track my spending. I have a general gist of how much I spend, but I don’t keep track as well as I should. It will be interesting to see a breakdown of my spending.

3. I’m going to make coffee:

Iced coffee is my kryptonite. I make coffee most of the year, but iced coffee just doesn’t seem to be the same when I make it at home. Luckily, this 30 Day Challenge coincidentally comes just in time for cooler weather…

4. I’m going to shop my closet:

I’ve been really good about this since my 30 Day Challenge where I didn’t shop for a month, but it’s a great way to stick to a budget.

5. Free get togethers with friends:

There are a lot of fun free ways to get together with friends like hiking, biking, or exploring your city. I’ll invite friends for a few more free activities this month.

What are your tips for better budgeting? I’d love to hear them!

Image via Chic Gliteratti

24 Responses to 30 Day Challenge: Better Budgeting

1. What a great challenge! I’m actually going on a no spend month for September, and with that trying to budget better! These are great goals, hopefully I can save up a lot. Eating at home is definitely cheaper, and I’ve been treating myself a bit more than I probably should with iced coffee as well!
    Happy September!

2. Sara Holt says:

By far, we spend most of our money eating out. Yet somehow, we still spend $100+ at the grocery store nearly every week. I definitely need to work harder on this. And thanks for the recommendation for Mint. I’m going to check into that after work!

3. Iced coffee is my weakness, too! I think I definitely need to cutback on my daily (yikes!) Starbucks habit and start making coffee at home. I completely agree that this is a good time of year for that.

4. Ashley Mason says:

These are awesome tips! I need to get better on saving my money, and I know these will help!

5. These are great goals! Living in New York is painful on a budget so I need to be better about some of these things too!

This is such a great challenge Elana! I am always looking for new and easy ways to save money. I am definitely guilty of spending too much on iced coffee (its impossible to resist in the NYC heat!) Cant wait to read Ashley’s guest posts on financial advice!

Loving all of these tips. I am SO horrible at budgeting but I am traveling to Europe in December and desperately NEED to save money.

8. Annie says:

Oh I love this challenge and cannot wait to read more blog posts about budgeting. Sadly these next few months are going to be high spending ones because I’ll be abroad but this whole summer I saved saved saved by eating at home a TON and limiting my shopping.

Annie // Annie N Belle

Such a great post — I definitely need to work on limiting my spending as much as possible because I definitely need to save for the holidays and other occasions.

10. Great money saving tips! I seriously need to cut back on some of spending, as I need to save up for a “new” car and for a trip I would to do next year.

11. Samantha says:

How do you come up with these challenges? I would love to try some of them out, like this one!

12. Sarah says:

This is my favorite list in a while! You just inspired me to create my own for fall 🙂 I’m with you especially on the eating at home more, shopping my own closet, and getting together without spending with friends. Love!

x Sarah

13. Nancy says:

My tips for budgeting would be to have cash on hand, I tend to spend more when I have a card and I simply keep swiping and just being more aware of how I spend my money.

14. These are great goals and you have shared great money saving tips that will help me a lot!!

I completely support this challenge! I am already doing a couple of those (making my own coffee, eating more at home) but I’ll start doing the others and join you on this challenge!

I love the idea of shopping your closet! I need to do this more often!

17. Katharina says:

For me, it really helped to ditch my gym membership and stick to an outdoors running schedule last Fall. The weather was perfect (not too hot – not too cold/rainy!), so there’s really no excuse.

18. dani says:

Great ideas and goal! I am also trying to do better budgeting especially since school has started back. Good Luck!

19. Alicia says:

I really, really need all of this haha. I’ve had a bad August and had thousands in unexpected car repairs, so I really need to budget better and save more. Mint is a great app, but I hate actually seeing *how* much money I spend on Chipotle each month!

xo, Alicia | Alicia Tenise

20. Nicole says:

what a challenge! This is a great list

Nicole // Chronicling Home

21. wow I really need to do this

22. Pingback: The September 2015 Checklist

23. I need – NEED – to implement a challenge where I don’t shop for a month. Oy. And Mint is great!

Coming Up Roses