Career Profile: Micaela English, Town & Country

Micaela English has what I consider to be a dream job. Micaela is senior web editor at Town & Country magazine where she pitches, writes, and edits multiple articles a day on a variety of topics pertinent to the Town & Country reader. I know you’ll be inspired by her career path and advice.

Career Profile: Micaela English, Town & Country

Micaela English, Senior Web Editor at Town & Country

How did you end up at Town & Country? What was your career path?

I actually started on the ad sales side of magazines as a sales assistant for two years. I took a fashion writing class through Mediabistro which inspired me to make a career switch and move over to editorial. I applied for a job to be the assistant to the Editor in Chief, got the job, and stayed in that role for two years. During that time, I learned so much about every section of the magazine world. When the opportunity came up to work on T&C‘s website, I thought it would be great for the next phase of my career – I love the Internet. I love all things digital. And I absolutely love this brand.

What are your roles and responsibilities as senior web editor at Town & Country?

We all wear a lot of hats online and my responsibilities change every day. Social duties belong to our social editor Logan Sykes, but I play a very heavy role in T&C‘s Instagram (it’s my favorite social media platform after all). Other than that: I write, write, write. I come up with story ideas based on topics and news that resonate with our audience.

What is a typical day like for you? Please walk me through a day.

No day is ever quite the same. Typically, I wake up around 6:00 am, read the New York Post‘s website, The Skimm, and my new addiction, the BuzzFeed News app (I have alerts for it going off on my phone all day). Then I take a 7:00 am Exhale Core Fusion or yoga class – sweating and getting exercise in is super important to me, it gets my brain thinking and my blood flowing. I wash up in their locker room and head over to the Hearst Tower. My team and I sit down and we talk about what’s going on in the world (we’re all responsible for reading different news sites/papers) and what T&C has to say about it and then we write and post to social, all day long.

It’s a blast. I truly love my job. I’m usually in the office until 7:30 pm each night, and then I’ll go home, cook dinner (I get all of my groceries delivered by the genius app InstaCart), and read whatever book I’m into or watch a show on demand. Right now I’m reading this hilarious book, The Underwriting, and my favorite show on television is Silicon Valley. I think the writing is absolutely genius.

To be honest, I’m doing all of these things while simultaneously checking my phone and being in a group text with my digital team at T&C, to make sure we’re on top of everything happening on the Internet. I know that could seem like a lot for people – to be constantly plugged in – but I’m a total Internet geek.

I live, breath, and truly enjoy the web and all of it’s craziness, it doesn’t even feel like work for me.

Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 10.13.34 PM
What do you like most about working at Town & Country?

Hands down, my colleagues. I work with people I consider to be the smartest in the industry. I learn so much from them every single day. It’s all about the people you surround yourself with. I learned that being a competitive tennis player growing up, the better and more advanced the players are that you’re hitting with, the more elevated your game gets. That’s how I feel working at T&C. I work with the best of the best.

What has been the proudest moment in your career so far?

It’s the simple things that really get me going. Receiving e-mails and hand written notes from readers and followers of the brand saying they enjoyed my article or love the site totally makes my day. Or seeing a friend I may have lost touch with share one of my stories via social. It means the world to me that people are not only reading my content, but connecting with it. That’s one thing I love about the web, it connects you with people you may have never known, and makes the world feel like a smaller place.

What is the most important skill to have as a senior web editor?

I have three. To be a fast thinker, to understand what stories are on brand, and to be able to whip up catchy headlines. Writing headlines is a skill that has been the most challenging and I still work on it every day. A headline on the Internet is your 15 minutes of fame, especially if it goes viral. You only have so many words to grab someone’s attention – it’s difficult, but a hell of a lot of fun.

Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 10.13.05 PM
What is your advice for someone who hopes to work at Town & Country or a similar media publication?

Develop a personality via social media. Make your own personal brand. Be bold and smart. Reach out to people whose careers you look up to, the worst that can happen is that they don’t respond. The best that can happen is that you may find your future mentor or receive some really solid career advice. I always do my best to talk to young people who want to discuss the industry, and a lot of the time I learn from them too.

You write multiple articles per week for Town & Country. Do you pitch all of your own ideas?

I talk to my co-workers about my story ideas and we all help each other fine tune our thoughts to make them even better. It’s all about collaboration and editing one another. Working on a team only makes me stronger as a writer and an editor.

You have such a strong social media presence. Your Instagram account is one of my favorite accounts to follow. What advice do you have for building a strong social media following?

That’s so nice to hear! On social media, it’s really important to have a sense of humor. For Instagram, make sure your photo quality is on point and don’t overwhelm your followers with photos. Be personal. Be real. I like to poke fun at myself a lot of the time.

Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 10.18.01 PM

What advice would you give to someone who hopes to write for Town & Country?

Get your work out there. Freelance for other websites, and then send us your clips with a well thought out pitch.

How would you define your professional style?

I love all-American classic style. During the fall and winter my uniform is usually a Ralph Lauren button down or sweater, AG jeans, and a Brooks Brothers coat. I love everything from the Polo Ralph Lauren line, especially their super high platform heels – I wore their 5-inch duck boots all winter. During the spring and summer I’m almost always dressed like I’m going to a garden party, with a full floral dress by Lilly Pulitzer, Alice + Olivia, and anything super feminine.

What is on your desk right now (other than the entire Mini & Emma Banana Leaf collection)?

I have Lafco’s Marine scented hand cream, always a big bottle of Smart Water, Malin + Goetz dark rum cologne, my iPhone 6 (no more than 2 centimeters away from me at all times), Pink Lady apples, Skullcandy headphones, notes that I’ve received from friends and past co-workers that have touched me, and my favorite Calypso mimosa scented candle. Oh and let’s be honest, on my cheat days, you’ll find a big bag of jelly beans from the Hearst newsstand on my desk.

Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 10.15.21 PM

What advice would you give to someone in the first five years of her career?

Stay focused on you, and not what anyone else is doing. Don’t compare yourselves to others. Strive for greatness; be polite yet bold. If all of a sudden you want to take your career in another direction, DO IT. It’s never too late to just start all over. I switched the direction of my career after two years, anything is possible.

What advice do you have for other young professional women?

Read Sheryl Sandberg’s book Lean In ASAP. Encourage your peers and, instead of viewing other women as your competitors, work together.

What is the best advice you’ve ever received?

In life: focus on the things that are in your control, and let the universe take care of the things that are out of your control.

Professionally: Even in this digital age, some conversations are better to have in person than in e-mail.

Thank you, Micaela!

P.S. Keep up with Micaela English by reading all of her articles on T&C and following her on Instagram.

All images courtesy of Micaela English and Town & Country.

50 Responses to Career Profile: Micaela English, Town & Country

1. It sounds like Michaela really does have a dream job! Thanks for sharing more behind the scenes of her day-to-day. I love her positive take on changing careers and not comparing yourself to other women.

2. Briana says:

This is hands down, one of the best career profiles yet! Wonderful questions, great advice, and truly inspiring!! This one is going straight to the top of my bookmarks 🙂

3. Emily says:

What a great interview! I love her perspective and such great advice especially on social media!! Thank you for posting this.

4. These are such great insights! I love T&C online! Great questions too by the way, you got some great answers!

5. Your career profiles are so absolutely inspiring! I love reading the “day in life” sections, so interesting! 🙂

xx | Steph @ The Lovely Essentials & Jenssen’s Designs

Every time I read your interviews with someone, I end up wanting their job…but really, this sounds so interesting and being an editor for a prestigious magazine would be the dream.

7. Ally Gagliardo says:

CAREER GOALS! This article was super helpful because a lot of us really don’t know what a day in the life would be like!

Ally |

8. Alessandra says:

This is an awesome career profile. Micaela’s day seems so fulfilling, I really admire her ability to keep pace with it all! It was so interesting to learn how her job melds together team work, management, and individual writing responsibilities.

Alessandra | The PumpUp Blog

I really like the fact that you include a question about the most important skill. For me, it helps to know which kind of skills to bring into the workforce and why!

Ok so I really want to have her job. I think it’s amazing how she switched careers and got such an amazing job off the bat! I would love to have a job where I have to check what’s going on in the world all of the time. I also love the yoga idea! Wish I had as much motivation as her to work out… love her already and I don’t even know her.. haha!

11. Jazmine says:

This was such a pleasure to read though I’ve never read Town and Country. It helps people who see a career in writing that it’s possible for it to work out. I love her last three advice at the end. Not comparing yourself to other women and don’t see anyone as a competition. Sometime it’s hard to keep that in perspective.

12. Tiffani says:

What a great opportunity! I am SO jealous! One of my bosses (I’m a nanny) started a few MAJOR bridal magazines and I always look to her for advice and tips!

13. Meghan says:

This is a fantastic interview, congratulations! Almost all of her advice and thoughts really resonated with me, especially as someone who has been at her career for three years and is kind of wondering if it’s time for a shift and how to go about it. Micaela seems so down to earth, personable but professional. What a great role model!

xoxo,
    Meghan
    Southern Belle Secrets

Thank you, Meghan. I’m so glad that it resonated with you!

• Micaela English says:

Thanks so much Meghan! Chase your dreams. The world is your oyster, and it’s never too late. Trust me. xo

14. Cat says:

This is such a great interview! Reading these profiles are very inspiring to me, showing what other career paths are out there besides the typical jobs touted by most colleges.

15. Michaela says:

This girl has an amazing job! And an amazing name but I could be biased.. I absolutely LOVE your career profiles! There are so many great jobs out there. xo

Michaela || The Monogrammed Midwesterner

Thank you so much! Isn’t it fun to learn about different people’s careers.

16. I think I just discovered my dream job! You always have such amazing interviews, and Micaela’s is no exception. Thanks for always providing such inspiring posts 🙂

XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass

Thank you so much. That means so much to me. Thank you for your constant comments and support! xo

Ummm hello dream job! This was such a fun interview to read! I am so happy I discovered your blog! I have you bookmarked and love checking in every day:)

Twenties Girl Style

18. Alicia says:

This is such an awesome post! It’s so inspiring to see someone switch careers and end up successful!

xo, Alicia | Alicia Tenise

19. Nancy says:

It really does sound like the dream job, and the fact that she loves her colleagues says a lot about the team that they have…It is such an important part of your career, you will spend so much time with them, you should enjoy it!

20. Marie H. says:

I really love these career profile interviews that they do! They are so informative and I love learning about different woman and their job roles!

XOXO
    Marie H.
    Progression By Design

21. This is my favorite career profile you’ve done thus far, Elana! Wow. First off, she needs to teach me how to get up at 6, then work out, THEN get to work. I can’t even get up at 7 and get myself ready for work, let alone wake up even earlier and hit the gym pre-work! But that’s my goal…
    Second, she works in Hearst Tower. GOALS. Absolutely love that building. And her 3-pieces of advice…that is perfect. I’m hitting a bookstore today to (finally) grab Lean In, too!

Coming Up Roses

22. Felice Raina says:

Wow this is such an amazing career profile. To be honest I’m kinda jealous of her. She literally has a dream career. And I love how passionate and committed she is to her job and duties

23. Sara Holt says:

These posts are so fun and different from so many other bloggers. I love looking into the lives of people and their “dream jobs”!

24. Jenni says:

I am loving these career profiles you have been posting! I love how the interview covers a range of topics and it’s so interesting to see their career paths as a college student trying to figure out her future career path.

Jenni // The Beautiful Little Fools

25. Courtney says:

Love this! It really does sound like the perfect dream job!

26. Pingback: My Favorite Career Profile Quotes From 2015 - Elana Lyn