Career Profile: Tracey Skaler, Seventeen Magazine

Tracey is a senior manager of integrated marketing at one of my favorite magazines growing up, Seventeen. I remember daydreaming about working at Seventeen when I was younger. When I met Tracey at a networking event, I knew I had to interview her to find out more about her career path and role at Seventeen magazine.

1f8bfdf
You are a Senior Manager of Integrated Marketing at Seventeen. What are your responsibilities in that position?

My team pitches and executes custom marketing campaigns for our advertising partners. We often design and write custom sections within Seventeen Magazine but also create events, go on college tours, host contests, offer sampling and more.

What is your favorite thing about working at Seventeen? What has been your favorite moment so far?

I really enjoy the people I work with. If you can’t laugh during the day or are at odds with a superior, it can dramatically affect your job satisfaction. Two of the more exciting moments I’ve had so far were on elevator rides, when I met the Editor-in-Chief of Seventeen, Michelle Tan and the Editor-in-Chief of Cosmopolitan, Joanna Coles.

vintage-seventeen-magazine-covers
You previously worked at NBC Universal and Viacom. How do you think your career path led you to Seventeen?

I started out in on-air and digital ad sales at Viacom, working with domestic and international brands including MTV, Nickelodeon and Comedy Central. I pivoted to Integrated Marketing when I moved to Bravo (at NBC Universal). I found the field to be more creative and a better fit for my personality. At Seventeen, I have the opportunity to learn more marketing platforms including print, experiential and out-of-home.

You received a B.A. in Cultural Anthropology from NYU and returned to NYU for a certificate in marketing. How did you decide to pursue a career in marketing?

While in college, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to be when I “grew up” so I studied what I found most interesting. I thought I might go into recruiting since I had a great internship in human resources. However, I traveled for a bit after graduating and when I returned in the fall of 2008 the economy had crashed and recruiting positions were scarce. I decided to open myself up to new possibilities by networking. I had lunch with a sales executive from MTV who quickly brought me in to interview for an open sales assistant position on his team.

Twiggy-Seventeen-Magazine-Cover
What advice do you have for other people who hope to work in marketing and advertising in the entertainment industry?

While I didn’t follow the traditional path, majoring in media, marketing or communications, and securing internships in the field will definitely help. Also have friends look over your resume and practice mock interviews. Once you have the right skill set and a polished resume, apply online and use your network to land interviews. And remember, many people will look good on paper. Use the interview to show off your personality. If you can make them laugh, that’s usually a good sign.

What is one thing that you wish you had known when you were starting out your career?

It’s important to realize how much others can teach you. Be humble. If you are struggling with something, be honest and ask your supervisor for advice. They’ll be happy you did, offer tools to help and you’ll both be proud when you progress.

working-at-seventeen-magazineWhat advice would you give to other young professional women?

Be proactive. Don’t only do what you’re told. Find a better process or develop a new program that will help you stand out and be remembered.

Thank you, Tracey!

Images via Seventeen

22 Responses to Career Profile: Tracey Skaler, Seventeen Magazine

1. Great advice and I loved learning more about Tracey’s career path. As someone who didn’t major in marketing, and is now looking to change careers, I agree that it’s so important to network and make connections with those in the field.

2. What an inspiring story! Seventeen was my favorite magazine in high school, and now my little sister reads it! Being humble is such unique advice. Thank you for sharing 🙂

3. Mikayla says:

Wow! What a fun job! Her advice is so true.

4. Danielle says:

I LOVED reading this post. It is so inspiring to me. I am currently a Journalism and Public Relations major at the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) and would love to do branding, marketing, or communications work for a fashion/lifestyle magazine or fashion brand/company. Being a journalism major I am also interested in editorial styling. Do she have any networking advice? I find it hard to meet and gain contacts in the industry since I’m not studying in NYC or LA. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

5. Danielle says:

xoxo, Danielle

6. Such a fascinating interview. What I would’ve give to be in an elevator with huge magazine moguls… that’s awesome. Thanks so much for sharing about Tracey!

Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante

This is the dream job for me.
    I used to want to work for a fashion magazine so bad.
    Thanks for sharing!

8. Ashley Mason says:

Tracey’s job sounds fabulous! I’m going to be majoring in marketing, so her job sounds exactly like what I would love to do!

XO
    Ashley
    privateschoolprepster.blogspot.com

Such a great interview! I also dreamed of working at Seventeen growing up (and still do actually)!

10. I think this might be my favorite interview yet! Definitely feeling inspired right now 🙂

XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass

Such a great interview and sooo jealous of her job. Her advice for others is very helpful and I bookmarked this post as one of my favorites!

12. Julia says:

I love learning about others’ amazing career paths. She has some great advice, even if some of it–like being proactive–terrifies a shy person like me!

Julia | Pennies & Paper

13. Michaela says:

What an amazing interview! I love that she didn’t get a degree in marketing at all and has made an amazing path for herself! Love this so much! xo

Michaela || The Monogrammed Midwesterner

That was always my dream job, too! I have a friend who’s interning there in NYC and another friend who’s interning at Cosmo… talk about amazing!

15. Chelsea White says:

What good advice! Learning to be proactive is something I’ve been working on forever and must continue to work towards!

16. Sara Holt says:

So fascinating! Thanks for sharing, girl!

I’m loving the vintage Seventeen covers!

18. Sarah says:

Loving the advice about being humble and allowing others to teach you! Often times our pride takes over and then we’re keeping ourselves from the amount of beneficial information we can learn!

x Sarah

19. Elana, these interviews are SO COOL. And Tracey’s job sounds awesome. Every day sounds like it’d be different. And elevator rides with EOC’s?? Unbeatable.

Coming Up Roses

20. Jenni says:

I loved reading Seventeen magazine, and still do on occasion, so it was fun to hear from someone behind the scenes. Thanks for sharing this interview! 🙂

Jenni // The Beautiful Little Fools