30 Day Challenge: Rise and Shine & Tips for Waking Up Early!

I love The Everygirl’s 30 Day Challenge series. I read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin a few years ago and loved the idea of focusing on small, measurable, resolutions. Gretchen would select three or four resolutions to focus on each month. She’d fill out a Resolution Chart to track and measure her progress. I’m going to combine The Everygirl’s 30 Day Challenge with Gretchen’s Resolution Chart. This month I’m going to wake up one hour earlier every weekday. I almost always wake up at 6:30 am but there are days when I wake up at 7:30 am so I’m going to set my goal for waking up at 6:30 am (because, honestly, 5:30 am is way too early). I’m going to make a chart to track the days that I woke up early and what I did with my “newfound time.” I’ve even come up with some tips for waking up early.

Tips for Waking Up Early

Tips for Waking Up Early

A few of my top tips for waking up early:

1. Go to bed early.

2. Studies have shown that artificial light from computers, tablets, phones, televisions and other electronics interferes with melatonin levels, making it harder to sleep. If you’re having difficulty sleeping stay off electronics before bed.

2. Keep your alarm clock/phone on the other side of your room so you have to get up to turn it off.

3. Keep a glass of cold water by your bed and drink it first thing in the morning.

4. Know what you want to do with your time. I started to get excited about going to the gym, getting breakfast with family or friends, or seeing the sunrise and taking long walks in the park. Planning out something fun and rewarding to do with your time makes it much easier to crawl out of bed.

5. SAY NO TO THE SNOOZE BUTTON.

6. Open your curtains. Natural light helps cue that it is time to get up.

If you’re going to join me in the challenge, comment below! I’d also love to know one (or more) of your tips for waking up early.

Life is waking up an hour early to live an hour more.

Image: 1 // 2 // 3

16 Responses to 30 Day Challenge: Rise and Shine & Tips for Waking Up Early!

1. Kathryn says:

I love this whole process so much! I always dread getting up early and I’m going to try to do this along with you. Thank you so much for giving me the push I needed!

I’m so glad that you’re joining, Kathryn! Let’s see what we can enjoy and accomplish by waking up an hour earlier.

2. I’m going to join you with this challenge! I always think that waking up early sounds like a good idea, but in reality I end up hitting snooze way too many times before getting out of bed. I think having something to look forward to first thing in the morning makes getting up a bit easier!

Vanessa

I’m so glad you’re joining me, Vanessa! Just say no to the snooze (or set two alarms – one for 15 minutes before you want to wake up and one for when you actually want to wake up) you get to snooze once. I must admit, I do love crawling back into bed after my alarm goes off…

3. Excellent advice! My favorite ‘Fireball Wake-Up Tip’: Schedule an early breakfast networking meeting. It will force you to get up early, give you something to look forward to, and help you build your professional network!

Thank you so much Deena. I love that tip. Wake up early, have breakfast, and network – you’ve built your professional network before you get to your desk.

4. Pingback: 30 Day Challenge: No Shopping | The Preppy Post Grad

5. Elise says:

This is really smart… I always have the worst time just getting up in the morning and then I don’t have time to just sit and relax before school because I’m rushing. I’m going to try really hard to get up right when my alarm goes off tomorrow morning and for a long time after that! And I saw that it helps to take strong mints in the morning to help get out of bed. Thanks for the helpful tips!

6. Pingback: The April 2015 Checklist | Elana Lyn

7. Pingback: The April 2015 Checklist | Elana Lyn

8. Mohau mohapi says:

I just found this online… I’ve been struggling to wake up early for a while, and it disturbs my day. I feel like I always have less energy as the day goes, and my mind cannot function. I’m hoping this new challenge will get me motivated.. I don’t even want to see it as a challenge but a way of lIving. As a full time student and working lady, something needs to change. Besides who wants to waste the whole day in bed??

9. Roxy says:

Thank you for these Ahhhhmazing tips. Do you have a newsletter?

Thank you! I do! You can subscribe on my sidebar or on the footer. Looking forward to being pen pals!

10. Ishika says: